How to Cook Crispy Crackling
How to make the perfect crackling is one of our most asked questions! One of life's great pleasures is uncovering a roast pork on the dinner table, and watching the crackling being pinched off the plate with a resounding crunch from eager mouths…
But sometimes it can be tough getting that crispy CRACK! every time. Not any more, because we have the answer to perfect crackling!
- Dry the skin of your roast pork.
- Score the skin - make sure your scores run deep - right the way through the skin.
- Drizzle a couple of tablespoons of oil and rub in to the skin
Now the secret that mum never told you, because salt was supposed to be bad for you:
- Massage salt into the skin.
- Rest for an hour or two (better yet do it in the morning and rest all day!).
- Pre heat oven to 180˚, then place roast in oven and roast for 1 hour/kg.
- Your roast is ready when the thermometer shows 71˚ internal temp, or the pricked pork juices run clear.
- For super crispy, remove roast from oven, and remove crackle from roast (have paper towels handy).
- Return crackling to tray and raise temp to 220˚ for 10 minutes.
Cover your meat while it is sitting - it is a good way for the meat to let the juices settle, and will make carving easier.