Pork Steaks with Black Garlic Butter, Saffron Rice, Beans & Tomatoes
Panfry (Trim Pork)
|Preparation: 15mins||Cooking time: 25mins||Serves: 4|
Recipe by Nadia Lim http://www.nadialim.com/
Pork steaks with black garlic butter
- 4 cloves black garlic, peeled
- 50g butter, slightly softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped thyme
- 4 x 150g NZ Pork Steaks at room temperature (e.g. Pork Loin Medallions, Pork Rump, Pork Scotch Fillet)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small shallots, finely diced
- 1 ½ cups Basmati rice
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons saffron extract (or 15-20 threads saffron)
- Good pinch of salt
Beans and tomatoes
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 250g green beans, trimmed
- To make the black garlic butter, mash the black garlic on a chopping board with the side of your knife. Mix in a small bowl with the softened butter until well combined. Place a piece of cling film, about an arms-length long on the bench and spoon on the black garlic butter. Carefully roll the cling film around the butter to produce a small log shape. Twist the ends of the cling film to secure the shape tightly. Set aside in the fridge to set for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the rice. Heat oil in a medium-size pot and cook shallots until soft, 2-3 minutes. Stir in rice, water, saffron and salt and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes.
- To cook the pork steaks, heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry pan (or on a BBQ hot plate) on high heat. Season pork steaks with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until cooked through medium. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Keep fry pan/hot plate on the heat. Wash beans and add to hot fry pan/hot plate along with cherry tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes until tomato skins are blistered and beans are bright green and just tender.
- Remove black garlic butter log from the fridge and unwrap. Roll gently but firmly in chopped thyme so that it coats the whole log.
- Divide saffron rice, beans and cherry tomatoes between plates. Slice pork steaks and arrange on top of rice. Slice small rounds of garlic butter and place on top of warm pork to melt over the pork.
- Enjoy with a Marlborough Pinot Noir.